Lake County’s Property Management Specialist
Owners of income properties – looking to fill vacancies and improve your property’s performance? Contact us for more information regarding our management services!
Our business is to provide our clients with management solutions that help their properties operate smoothly, increase in desirability and enhance investment value. That’s why property owners throughout the area depend on us to help achieve their goals of property performance and profitability. Whether your properties are apartments, single family homes, duplexes, commercial developments, or office spaces for growing companies, our company ensures that your property is well managed to attract and retain tenants.
Riverside Management is a full service real estate management and investment company. Chris Shaw is the executive property manager.
Our mission at Riverside Management is to create and maintain value for our clients through the excellent management of income producing properties.
What sets Riverside Management apart from others is our marketing expertise.
We employ what we call the Marketing Matrix; which was developed exclusively by Riverside Management. The exact execution of the Marketing Matrix is proprietary; however the components of it are as follows:
- Regular Inspections to optimize curb appeal
- Yard and Building Signage
- Special Banners
- Local advertisement flyers
- Classified Ads in local papers
- Open Houses
- Involvement in local clubs and organizations
- Postcard Mailings to renters
- Existing tenant surveys
- Referral bonuses
- A rotating schedule of leasing specials
- On line listing services including Craigs List, Google, Yahoo, Hotpads, Bing, Vast, Trulia, and Rentals.com listings
- On-line advertising through Forrent.com which includes a printed booklet in Spanish and English distributed in 100’s of locations in Chicagoland
- Website promotion
Our tenant selection process includes;
- Verification of employment
- Verification of rental history
- A full criminal background search
- A full credit report.
Our background in banking and lending gives us a clear advantage in assessing the credit worthiness of our tenants.
Managing Tenant Relationships:
We manage the tenant relationship through a variety of channels. We have a monthly newsletter that goes out. We also send out monthly rent statements. We can use each of these pieces as an opportunity to communicate with our tenants.
We offer referral bonuses to tenants who refer prospects to us who eventually sign leases. We also offer specials to existing tenants to renew their leases (either clean the carpet or new paint in one room). We normally contact tenants 90 days prior to expiration of their lease so that we can get them to renew. Renewals provide what we like to call traction and momentum for the operation of the property. The single most avoidable cost in the rental business is vacancy cost; primarily lost rent. We track the longevity of tenants in various buildings to evaluate how to extend the average length of occupancy for the tenant.
Tenants can submit maintenance requests on-line to our office. We can also give them email updates on the status on their maintenance requests.
As far as collection and tenant relationships we feel it’s very important to address any collection issue quickly and consistently. We employ a collection calendar which spells out how the collection process should flow. We make courtesy calls for anyone who has not paid their rent starting on the 2nd of the month. Late charges are applied as per the lease agreement and regular contact is made with the tenants who have not paid. A five day notice is sent out, usually around the 7th of the month. If payment is not received, a second notice is sent. If payment is not received the file is sent to the attorney for eviction.
Professional and Specialized Software:
We strive to use technology as a means to improve service to our clients. Owners are notified when service requests come in on their property. Owners also have secure access to their Owner Portal where you can see statements and reports on your property. You can also contact our staff through your portal.
Our tenants can log on through their secure Tenant Portal to view their statements or to get important information from us. They can also submit services requests through their portal as well.
We are specialized as a real estate management company, not simply a real estate broker who is trying their hand in management services.
Property Experience: We have over 15 years of experience in managing income property. The following is a summary of property we have managed or are currently managing.
- Linden Apartments, 40 unit apartment building
- Riverside Partners, 38 residential units, multiple locations
- Forest Glen Apartments, 36 units apartment complex
- Grandville Court Apartments, 40 unit apartment complex
- Northside Apartments, 12 unit apartment complex
- Westlake Apartments, 17 unit apartment complex
- Hinkston Pond Apartments, 120 unit apartment complex
- Oriole Court Apartments, 16 unit apartment building
- Country Chalet Apartments, 140 unit apartment complex
- Park Trails Apartments, 80 unit apartment complex
- 1813 Jethro Apartments, 11 unit apartment building
- Sheridan Road Apartments, 12 unit apartment building
- Atkinson Center, Grayslake, IL 60,000 SF retail/office center
- Sweetwater Crossings, Round Lake, IL 20,000 SF retail center
- Belvidere Office Plaza, Waukegan, IL 25,808 SF office building
Commercial, Office Warehouse:
- 540 Capital, Lake Zurich, IL 40,000 office/warehouse building
- Antioch Commerce Center, Antioch, IL 31,000 SF office/warehouse
- 3816 Grandview, Gurnee, IL 19,000 office warehouse building
- VP Industrial Group, LLC, Libertyville, IL 80,000 SF office warehouse complex
- Choice Capital, LLC, Lake Forest, IL 13,664 SF office warehouse
- Irma Lee Lot 15 Condo Association, Lake Forest, IL 20,496 SF building
- 14047 Viking Park Condo Association, Libertyville, IL 24,352 SF building
- 28100 Viking Park Condo Association, Libertyville, IL 29,340 SF building
- 28085 Viking Park Condo Association, Libertyville, IL 24,450 SF building
- 28045 Viking Park Condo Association, Libertyville, IL 40,930 SF building
- Viking Park Umbrella Association, Libertyville, IL 119,072 SF condo association
1-4 Unit Residential:
We manage numerous single family homes, duplexes, and four units in various locations in Winthrop Harbor, Zion, Waukegan, Gurnee, Grayslake, Round Lake and Lake Forest.
Background and Experience – Chris Shaw, Executive Property Manager
Certified Property Manager, Candidate
Bachelor of Science – Finance – Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL, 1989
Minor in Economics – Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL, 1989
Masters of Business Administration – Emphasis in Real Estate – DePaul University, Chicago, IL, 1995
Licensed Illinois Real Estate Broker – 1998 – Present
1992 – 2000 – Commercial Loan Officer, Grand National Bank, Gurnee, IL. Specialized in financing of investment property and land development projects. Responsibilities included member of loan committee, structuring of deals, portfolio management and new business generation.
1998 – President and Founder of Riverside Management & Leasing Corp; a full service real estate management and investment firm. Responsible all areas of company operations including: property operations, marketing, finance, accounting, and management.
2008 – Opened second office, Gulfside Management, in Santa Rosa Beach, FL. Office is headed up by Jack Emerick, co-owner of Riverside Management.
Chris, who lives in Gurnee with his wife and four kids, has served the community as well. He is the past Treasurer of the Gurnee Breakfast Exchange Club. While in the Exchange Club he served on various committees to raise funds and awareness for the prevention of child abuse. He has also served as the Assistant Treasurer for his local church. He volunteered to serve on the Citizens Financial Advisory Board for the local school district; which was charged with analyzing tax rates, revenue and expenses. He also coaches basketball from grade school aged kids through the local Upward Basketball league.